Go to main navigation
800 W. First Street, Suite 408, Los Angeles, California 90012
Call For Free Consultation 213-680-9332 213-680-9332

California law firm for obtaining Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas

Law firm in Los Angeles representing people looking to enter the United States temporarily or permanently

Citizens of other countries who wish to enter the United States face obstacles whether they wish to visit or reside here temporarily or permanently.  The Law Office of Jennifer S.F. Lim helps people and businesses who want to undertake this process in a professional and efficient manner which maximizes their chances for success.

Legal representation for immigrants who intend to make the United States their home

There are multitudes of ways to apply for an immigrant visa, which confers the right to reside permanently in the United States, a process commonly known as getting a “green card”.  The Law Office of Jennifer S.F. Lim can guide you through the immigration process, whether you are applying through an employment-based petition, a family-based petition, self-petition through investment/job creation (e.g. EB-5 petitions).  We also assist applicants who may have to apply for waivers of inadmissibility (based on grounds such as an immigration violation or prior criminal conviction), which are usually decided on a case-by-case basis by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS).  Our law firm file petitions for individuals outside the United States as well as those for those already in the United States who wish to adjust their status in this country.   Please note that the forms and procedures to be followed are different and can have different consequences, depending on whether you are applying while outside or inside the United States.

The Immigration & Nationality Act (INA), Section 201, establishes annual limits or quotas on the number of immigrant visas which are available each year.  Although there is no limit imposed on the number of immigrant visas available to family-based petitions filed by U.S. citizens for their spouses or children under age 21, there is an annual quota of 226,000 immigrant visas available for other family-based petitions, such as petitions by U.S. citizens for siblings (known as the F4 category) or petitions by permanent residents for their spouses and children (known as the F2A category).  Similarly, there is an annual quota of 140,000 immigrant visas available for employment-based petitions for individuals who are being sponsored through their employer or are filing self-petitions through their investment or job creation application.  In addition, there is a per-country annual limit set at 7% of the total annual visa quota (i.e. 25,620) for foreign nationals seeking to immigrate to the United States, based on their country of birth.  Whether there is an immigrant visa available for you is based on the filing date of  your family-based preference petition or employment-based petition, known as the “priority date”.  The Department of State publishes a monthly bulletin informing the public about the availability of immigrant visas and estimated waiting periods, based on their visa category, which can be accessed by clicking on the following link: Visa Bulletin

California law firm provide advice on securing non-immigrant visas for workers, students and others

People who seek to enter the United States on a temporary basis for employment, study or pleasure still face challenges and must fulfill certain requirements in order to be granted the applicable visa.   The Law Office of Jennifer S.F. Lim can advise you regarding the various visa options and their requirements and provide professional help with the detailed paperwork and application process. We help clients to secure all types of non-immigrant visas, including:

  • A-1/A-2 Diplomatic Visa
  • B-1/B-2 Visitors for Business or Pleasure
  • E-1 Treaty trader visa
  • E-2 Treaty investor visa
  • E-3 Specialty Occupation Visa (for Australians)
  • F-1 Student Visas (and Practical Training)
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation Professionals
  • H-2B Essential Skill Workers
  • I Foreign media visa
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa
  • K-1 Fiancés/Fiancées of U.S. Citizens
  • K-3 Spouses of U.S. Citizens
  • L-1 Intracompany Transferees
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability Individuals
  • R-1 Religious Worker Visa
  • P-1 Athletes and Entertainers
  • Q-1 Cultural exchange visa
  • R-1 religious worker visa
  • TN NAFTA Professional (TN visas for Canadian and Mexican professionals)

Information on the USCIS filing fees can be accessed by clicking on the following link:  USCIS filing fees.   Some non-immigrant visa applications (and employment-based immigrant visa petitions) are eligible for expedited processing by paying an additional filing fee of $1,225, through the “premium processing” procedure in which the USCIS is required to adjudicate the visa applications or petitions within 15 calendar days.  Information about the visa categories which are eligible for this expedited procedure can be accessed by clicking on the following link: premium processing.  Even if your specific request or visa type is not listed, our law firm can counsel you regarding your options on the best way of obtaining authorization to enter and remain the United States.

Alert: Review and retain your I-94 arrival-departure record

Since the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) no longer issue the Form I-94 arrival-departure record on paper upon your admission to the United States on a non-immigrant visa or through a visa waiver program, it is incumbent upon you to download your I-94 online record each time you enter the U.S. at https://I94.cbp.dhs.gov.  It is the I-94 record which is proof of your lawful non-immigrant status in the U.S. and your authorized length of stay, and not your passport, the visa (in your passport) or the visa petition.  It is incumbent upon you to retrieve and review your I-94 record as there may be errors in your admission details that will affect your authorized length of stay.  You can surrender the I-94 at the boarding terminal when you leave the U.S..

 Contact our California law firm if you require a U.S. visa

Whichever type of visa you seek, the Law Office of Jennifer S.F. Lim can advise you on the immigration regulations and represent you before the government agencies. Call our Los Angeles office at 213-680-9332 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Click here to read the Visa Bulletin

Click here for information on premium processing

Click here for the USCIS filing fees for visa applications or petitions